Pages

Sunday 17 March 2013

So my dad asked me to make a pear dessert...

We had four quite mushy Bosc pears and while my dad was cutting them he told me to make a pear treat out of them. I Googled some ideas and settled on trying to make a pear cake. It was dense and delicious and my sister said it tasted like something you would find at Starbucks so I was quite flattered. It was easy and if you are looking for something sweet (and vegan) give this a try!

Ingredients:

4 Bosc pears cubed (4 cups)
2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1 (or 1.5- depending on how sweet you want it) cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed cloves
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1.5 teaspoons salt
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Boil the first 7 ingredients together. Once they begin to boil simmer for 7-10 minutes.
3. Let the mixture cool till near room temp.
4. Mix together the flour and baking soda.
5. Fold in the pear mixture with the dry ingredients.
6. Lightly grease/spray a 9 or 10 inch cake pan.
7. Smooth the mixture into the pan (it gets quite gooey!)
8. Bake for about 40 minutes; it should be brown on top and a toothpick should come out clean. 

I made a caramel glaze as well (2 tbsp soy milk, 1 tbsp earth balance/vegan margarine, 1/2 cup brown sugar- bring it to a boil on the stove and let it boil for about 2 minutes) and poured it over each slice. I topped them off with some crushed walnuts.

Unfortunately we didn't have any quinoa flour at home today, but I will definitely be trying it next time!

Happy Baking :)

No comments: