Pages

Monday 27 January 2014

My Recipe: Vegan Carrot Cake

I went on a little baking spree last weekend. We had a bag of carrots sitting in the fridge and I decided the best way to use them would be to (clearly) make carrot cake! 

With school last semester I literally had hardly a moment to spare and I missed baking. I was so excited to try a new recipe, and of course had to document it. 

You want to start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.You're going to let the cake bake for about 40 minutes, or until it's nice and golden and a toothpick comes out clean. The ingredients are below.


Wet Ingredients:
- 3 cups grated carrot
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond-coconut milk (or any non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 1/3 cup vegetable/canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- zest of 1/4 of an orange


 

Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt





Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately. Sift the dry ingredients into the carrot mixture in thirds and gently fold until you get something that looks like the picture below! I've greased the sides of the loaf pan and cut a piece of parchment paper for the bottom (this really helps you get your cake out with nothing stuck to the bottom of the pan).

 

 


This is what the cake should look like when it's done.

I topped mine with an orange glaze and crushed walnuts! This is optional, but I would recommend it since it's so delicious.

The glaze is also ridiculously easy. Here's what you need:

- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- freshly squeezed orange juice (1/4 of a large orange, 1/2 of a small orange)
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)

Just whisk together the above ingredients and your glaze is ready to go.

I let the cake cool for about 15 minutes, poured the glaze on top, finally sprinkled it with the crushed walnuts, and voila!




No comments: