Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

Lose the wheat, lose the weight?

Hey guys,

So I'm reading this book called Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. My mom had read it and from the small overview she had given me I was totally against reading it since it sounded a little far-fetched to me. So far I'm  half way through it, and I'm glad I decided to start it. The info he presents is not as radical as I imagined and much of it agrees with what I already know. As I'm sure you guessed it is all about wheat...but modern day wheat, and how different it is than the original stuff. Dr. Davis is saying that present, genetically altered wheat and it's proteins don't only affect Celiac disease sufferers, but everyone. One of the ideas he presents are exorphins; peptides from wheat that have addictive properties(1)...causing people wanting even more wheat (pretzels, cupcakes, delicious cinnamon raisin bagels; you name it). I can totally see wheat addiction happening...I definitely have it. Sometimes at school I would end up eating THREE sandwiches during a day...WHAT?! Yeah...two pieces of toast for breakfast, a sandwich at lunch, and my bad late-night Nutella sandwich snacking habit. So I'm starting to believe what Dr. Davis is saying, and realizing how hard it is to have no wheat! I guess everything in moderation...I'll let you know what else he presents as I keep reading.

(1) Opioid peptides derived from food proteins. The exorphins. Zioudrou C, Streaty RA, Klee WA.

No comments: