Pages

Friday 11 January 2013

Squash and Salad

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share some of the recipes I've made recently: a stuffed butternut squash, and an awesome apple salad. 

So let me start with the squash...I wanted something delicious and something that would make me feel warm when I looked at it to battle the winter blues. We had a lot of fresh cranberries left over from over the holidays so I thought that would be a yummy ingredient. I ended up googling (good old google!) squash with cranberries and I found this recipe and I used it as my guide! I'm pretty bad at following recipes and there is always a lot of estimations when I cook. Anyways, here are the ingredients:

- 1 butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 handfuls of fresh cranberries
- 1/4 c of chopped walnuts
- 4 spoons of brown sugar (2 for each half)
- butter


Preheat the oven to 375 then prepare the squash. Just remove the seeds and layer the cranberries, walnuts, and sugar in each of the halves. I pressed butter into the surface of the squash, and covered my baking tray with foil. I baked it for 1 hour and 20 minutes at 375, and for the last 5 minutes I uncovered the tray and turned up the heat to 425 to make the cranberries all juicy and bubbly, and the squash more golden. It was super tasty and my family loved it!


By the time I was done the squash and it was baking away I was hungry for lunch. I hadn't made a big salad in a while and we had lots of brie cheese left (cheese= my love, my life, my everything) and I thought it would taste good with apples. I ended up mixing baby spinach, brie cheese, a cubed royal gala apple, sliced walnuts, dried cranberries, red onion, and a poppy seed dressing for a delicious and filling salad.

2 comments:

P said...

Sounds delicious - and nutritious!

Unknown said...

Thank you!